Monday, May 15, 2023

Uncomfortable

While walking Cujo I came across an Indian brother and sister. He was married and there with his wife. The sister was there with her bestie who has some connection to Beyonce that I never quite understood and that's OK. It's also safe to say they all had consumed more than their fair share of something that had altered their rational/cognitive abilities. Not being vague on this; most likely they were drunk but there was no slurring of the words. If anything I'd say they were drunk the way I am drunk, way too touchy feeling and I love you man vibe.

Anyhow, they were all in love with Cujo in a way that creeped Cujo out. Sahdra (the single sister) wanted Cujo to follow her on Instragram. I made it clear Cujo doesn't follow anyone. She asked multiple times. I created a personal hotspot so she could follow me on FB. I am quite certain tonight is not the only time I will be hearing from her.

I have never been comfortable when someone throws themselves at me. From the time I was teaching at #UofIowa and a student put his hand on my knee and said, "I will do anything for an A" to the time I was at a #SigmaNu fraternity conference in Chicago when a woman got on the elevator with me, grabbed my package and said, "Today is my 30th birthday and I'm buying." I simply do know how to respond. 

None of these events are assault in my book because I never had concern for my safety. It's not like being a petite woman pushed up against the wall because the alpha male thinks it's ok for stars like to grab women by the pussy.

In this case the woman's interest in me in peaked when she found out I was single with no kids. She pretty much offered herself on the spot. Awkward...

To the brother who was talking about their relatives in the US I tried my best to explain, "That's your best path to citizenship. Google chain migration. 

And because the Beyonce woman simply wanted to visit I explained that I have helped dozens of friends over the years get the tourist visa to America... My favorite was my Moroccan friend #Youssef who kept saying tourist in a way that sounded exactly like terrorist. I told him just say #VisitVisa.

The US has two requirements to get a #TouristVisa:

1. Convince them you are not a terrorist

3. Convince them you'll you will go back from where you came.

A single woman/man? Yeah, you're not getting the visa. It sucks, but those are the rules. 

30 years ago my #CoeCollege friend was facing deportation and asked if I would be willing to marry her. I said yes without hesitation. She was/is a good friend. If her desire is to stay in the US I'm simply happy to help. Beth is getting married in a few weeks and I doubt I can make it but I've told her, "If I can, I will." 

I know #LifeIsWeird and we can't know what is coming next... but #ThereByThyGraceOfGodGoI that I didn't die at the age of 23 from drug addiction like my brother Mark. 

Not happy the character here is named Steve but this is worth a watch:
https://youtu.be/1_TPWn9dJmA

No comments:

Post a Comment