Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dollar vs. Euro

Dear few friends who still read my blog:  Please understand that the following post is my ENTP need to have an interesting discussion.

In SE Asia I was traveling with my friend Lukas.  He's my German friend that helped me see the place my great-great-grandfather came from.

I was very happy to travel with him in SE Asia in late 2014.  He has been everywhere I wanted to go:  Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Before I met up with him in Bangkok I said, "I want to see it all and we are not going by bus."  So we did a series of short trips by plane from Bangkok to Siem Reap (awesome) to Phnom Pen (disgusting) to Saigon (interesting) to Hue (quaint) to Da Nang (awesome) to Hanoi (surprisingly interesting).  I paid for his flights because he would have never made those flights; he would have gone by bus or - because he had already been there - he wouldn't have gone back to those cities.

So....  during the course of the trip I gave him money when he had not already converted it from euros.  I didn't keep track; I didn't care.  At the end of the trip he told me owed me $200.  I was like, "Ok, whatever."

A month passes.

He still doesn't have my IBAN number to send the money to my account (that's my mistake).  I finally gave it to him. He says, "I will send the euros I owe you."  The problem?  During the month the US dollar has appreciated 10% vs. the euro.  Sending me the euros means I lost 10%.

Should he send me $200 which is what I am expecting or should he send me 160 euros which is what he had in his mind when I gave him money?

2 comments:

  1. Steve. I think you should eat the difference since it sounds like he was trying to get your account information. If you had been chasing him down, I'd feel just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm with Robby on this one. - Denise

    ReplyDelete