Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer trip home 2013


I will fly out on Monday, August 5 to DC.  I will stay with my niece Gina and her family for five days and fly out early on August 10 for Iowa.  I will stay until the day after Labor Day.  I have a direct Chicago to Abu Dhabi flight.

So I get Etihad from Abu Dhabi to DC and Etihad from Chicago to Abu Dhabi.  When you have to spend 16 hours on a flight it is good to be on the best airline for it.  Yippee!

******

Being the geek I am, I check four websites almost every day:  Expedia, Travelocity, American Airlines and Cleartrip.  On the weekends I check several more.

For two months I consistently saw the flights I wanted at roughly Dh 6000 ($1600).  All was good... I didn't want to book until I knew for sure of my dates.  Two weeks ago all good flights on Etihad disappeared.  Not a little higher in price, but simply disappeared.

I panicked.  I've researched countless other options.  All would cost $3-400 more and have some long layovers.

Miraculously, the good flights became available again last night so I grabbed them as quickly as possible.

1 comment: