Thursday, November 1, 2012

State of the race

Halloween - a day that is supposed to scare us - was the first day I have felt good since October 2, the night of the first debate.  Obama took a solid and consistent lead and drove it into the ground with a debate performance that I will never understand.

For most of the past month I have scared... scared of the chance that Romney will actually win.  Rasmussen has him up in national and state polls, but then again Rasmussen has a Republican bias.  Gallup, who I generally trust, has Romney up by 5 points in the national polls.  As I've said before, if Romney is really winning by 5 points the state polls don't matter; Romney is our next president.

So why did I finally feel good yesterday?  Here are the state polls from October 31:

Colorado: Obama 50%, Romney 47% (We Ask America)

Colorado: Romney 46%, Obama 45% (Reuters/Ipsos)

Ohio: Obama 50%, Romney 45% (Quinnipiac)

Ohio: Obama 50%, Romney 45% (Public Policy Polling)

Ohio: Obama 48%, Romney 46% (University of Cincinnati)

Ohio: Obama 48%, Romney 45% (Reuters/Ipsos)

Florida: Obama 48%, Romney 47% (Quinnipiac)

Florida: Romney 50%, Obama 47% (Gravis)

Florida: Romney 50%, Obama 49% (We Ask America)

Florida: Obama 47%, Romney 47% (Reuters/Ipsos)

Iowa: Obama 50%, Romney 45% (Public Policy Polling)

Iowa: Romney 45%, Obama 44% (University of Iowa)

Iowa: Obama 49%, Romney 47% (We Ask America)

Michigan: Obama 48%, Romney 45% (Detroit News)

Michigan: Obama 48%, Romney 42% (EPIC-MRA)

North Carolina: Obama 49%, Romney 49% (Public Policy Polling)

Pennsylvania: Obama 48%, Romney 44% (Franklin and Marshall)

Virginia: Obama 49%, Romney 47% (Quinnipiac)

Virginia: Romney 49%, Obama 44% (Roanoke)

Virginia: Obama 48%, Romney 46% (Reuters/Ipsos)

Wisconsin: Obama 51%, Romney 46% (Public Policy Polling)

Wisconsin: Obama 51%, Romney 43% (Marquette Law)


Obama doesn't need to win Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Colorado or even Iowa to remain president.  By these polls Romney will have to run the table and win everything in sight to be the next president.

Like I said, I've not felt well about this election since the first debate.  At this point I'm not cocky; I'm still scared.  But my way of looking at the world is:  "Would I rather be in the other guy's shoes?"  As scared as I am, I'd rather be on my side given these polls.

2 comments:

  1. This made my night so much better!

    Thanks, I've been worried.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I have been stalking your blog waiting for another feel-good post like this.

    ReplyDelete