Friday, June 1, 2012

Worth seeing a doctor?

Today is the 15th anniversary of Spellman's death.  As he was my economics prof/advisor/life guru it would be entirely appropriate to discuss the latest economic news, like a jobs report showing that only 69,000 jobs were created in the US last month.  But, seriously, that's just too depressing.

So let's talk about a possible "pre-cancerous" growth on my back.

I have a spot between my shoulder blades that is about the size of a nickel and looks like scab.  I noticed it on Tuesday and each day it grew more tender and a red patch grew around it.  I wisely called to see my doctor on Thursday but she's not available until next Wednesday.  I considered just going to the hospital today but Fridays are Sundays in the US.  It's not a matter of the cost of an emergency room - the price is the same as an advanced appointment - the problem is the thought of spending hours and hours waiting and then possibly getting a doctor who doesn't speak English.

Hmm, that seems like a really weak excuse as I wrote the paragraph above.

Late today a friend saw it (something I can't easily do given its location) and she said, "Looks like a scab to me."

So I will wait until next Wednesday.  That's the same day I'll have blood taken and see whether or not the past two months of working out and taking pills have been worth it.

I've also spent a lot of time looking at really gorgeous TV's.  If the numbers come in bad or I find out I do, indeed have skin cancer?  Well, just guess who is getting a 60 70 inch TV?

*****
I don't give myself credit for much, but my tribute to Spellman and his eulogy are on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment