Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mom

Yesterday Mom spent the day and night in the hospital.  After a week of bad diarrhea her potassium levels dropped to nothing and they spent a couple of hours pumping her with fluids to get them back to normal.  Dad had headed home earlier and by the time I brought her home she was doing OK.  She wasn't terribly coherent after plenty of pain medication, but given the number of close calls over the years this one didn't seem like a big deal.

This morning Dad heard her breathing a bit labored but didn't think much of it.  When she didn't get up he went to check on her and she had already passed.

Mom has been sick for decades.  In the late 90's nobody would have predicted she would have made it to 2011.  Still, it is safe to say this is shocking.

*****
In late May I volunteered for summer school.  Following that I had nightly nightmares.  The nightmares were that Mom died while I was in the Emirates - and if I hadn't taught summer school I could have seen her one more time.

Fortunately, my sense of foreboding didn't come true.  In fact, Mom had a really great June and July.  She was in the best condition she's been in for at least ten years.  Last week Mom had her 77th birthday and 59th wedding anniversary.  The family gathered for the first time in years at the Amanas just last Saturday.

So, it is shocking and I'm still in a state of disbelief.  I am happy however because:

  • She was in great shape the past two months.
  • The whole family gathered just last week.
  • I was able to spend all of yesterday with her.  I am so grateful I was in the country.  I can't imagine what it would be like to get this call in the Emirates.  
  • Given Mom's illnesses she could have gone in a long, drawn-out way - spending months in a nursing home.  I am so grateful that she passed peacefully in her sleep.  After what she's been through, she deserved it.

I feel so bad for my father:  Married for 59 years to the only love of his life.  He's quoting a song that talks that all the bad things in life had to happen in order for him to meet the love of his life by coincidence. He considers himself one of the luckiest guys in the world for the time he's had with her.  I can't imagine his world without her.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    What a beautiful blog post you've written about your Mom. It will be hard to not have her here anymore, but it's wonderful that you are counting all of your blessings. She has touched many, and although I never knew her I always enjoyed reading her comments on your blog.

    As one who *has* gotten that call in the Emirates (and I had not seen my mom for almost 1.5 years at that point, and was scheduled to fly home the next month), I am so, so happy you were already home when this happened and got to see her one more time. You'll treasure that forever.

    Let me know if you need anything done for you on this end and I'm happy to help.

    Hugs,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Please accept my sincere sympathies on the loss of your mother. I lost my mom many years ago, and I still miss her desperately. My consolation, and I hope it will be yours, too, is that I have many wonderful memories of time spent with my mom, and thinking of them lift me up when I am missing her most.

    I am SO glad you were able to get home in time to see her, and that she had 2 good months and happy occasions before her time came.

    Please be comforted in knowing she is in a better place, and that your many friends are thinking of you at this time.

    Peachie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I was so sorry to hear about Joyce. Although, as you say, it is a blessing that she did not spend her last months in a nursing home. It is also good that you were able to be with her these last few days, and to be here for your dad, without having to make impossible flight arrangements at the last minute.
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete