Monday, August 1, 2011

Debt Deal

I am glad I am thinking about coming home, otherwise the debt deal would be overwhelmingly depressing.  I am hard-pressed to think of a more disastrous legislative loss since healthcare reform was killed in the 1990's.  The same qualities that made Obama the only Democratic president to get healthcare reformed passed are the same qualities that led to this horrible deal:  The guy will do anything to get to yes.  That's a tough bargaining position.

I'm trying hard to find a silver lining and this is the best I can do:  This bill is not as bad as the "grand bargain" he almost struck with Boehner two weeks ago.

Economically this hurts an economy that can't take many more blows.  Politically, the president has demoralized his base (and killed our enthusiasm for him) and emboldened the Tea Party.  Until now, I really believed the president was a lock for reelection.  Given what the state of the economy will be by November 2012 and a base that is unenthusiastic, I don't know if he'll win.   Interestingly, GOP.com seems convinced that the president will win reelection.

1 comment:

  1. Unless Democrats either don't vote or vote Republican/Independent/Other...I think Obama will win re-election, if for no other reason than the Republican potentials are pretty frightening. And, Democrats who are educated about Bush's 8 years and his outrageous spending should be ashamed of themselves if they vote for a Republican. I am disappointed in Obama while, at the same time, I understand he is banging his head against the wall with The Party of No. THEY should be ashamed of themselves for being such assholes. It will be interesting to see whether they are able to hold on to their seats. We can only hope that the Dems gain control and, at the same time, grow some cojones and backbones.

    ReplyDelete