Monday, November 29, 2010

Pot committed

For a couple of hours I've been searching for the right metaphor to use in this story...

In poker you are "pot committed" when you are down to a few chips and you've already put most of what you had left in the pot.  The odds usually aren't good, but you pray for a miracle.

Long ago I committed to buying a traditional Emirati kandora (robe) and gutra (head scarf) and wearing them for National Day.

I've told my classes and tonight I finally assembled all the parts I am supposed to wear tomorrow.   I can't back down... in poker, I'm "all in..."

And?

I look stupid.  Not just a little stupid.  Really stupid.  Like, wearing a dress during homecoming week in high school is nothing compared to this.

My first mistake was going with the traditional white.  Against darker skin, white looks good.  With me, I look like a pale ghost about to eat your children.

No, my first mistake was having the idea to do this.  It simply went downhill from there.

My back is against the wall.  No turning back now.  There's little chance everything will be coming up roses, because when I wear the kandora I'm like a fish out of water.

The hall is rented and it's time for the world to see that I can't dance.

Update:
If I had the choice

  1. Wear the kandora tomorrow or,
  2. Picture me walking around Wal-mart wearing a grungy wife-beater two sizes too small with really tight frayed denim shorts.*

I'm not sure which I would pick.

* I hope that's a visual you can't get out of your head.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that image, Steve. And I thought the picture of you with the shower cap on was going to be the death of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to tie the wife beater in a knot just above your belly button!

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. Now that's a whole other vision I didn't need, Travis. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete