Sunday, February 26, 2012

Stopping by to help a student


Mansour is on the trip to Canada.  He was in a car accident two days ago (he's OK).  I offered to stop by to get him up to speed on what he missed.  Take a look at this picture carefully.  In less than five minutes after I arrived we were given a plate with six bottles of water (there were two of us), Arabic coffee, and green tea with mint to drink.  The yellow things you see in front of me are called "Camel eyes."  They are very chalky with a creamy filling.  As I bit into a "camel eye" it crumbled, which sent one of Mansour's brothers searching for a Kleenex.  His other brother explained that they are to be eaten in one gulp.

Behind the bowl of water to wash any dishes we use are fresh dates - the red and black ones - and processed dates.  Over to the right is a huge gift basket Mansour received yesterday.  Whereas we send flowers and cards when someone is hospitalized, here they bring lots of food... and in Mansour's case, a ferret.

A ferret as a gift for being in a car accident.  I'm sorry I don't have a picture; the ferret was sleeping and it was in poor light.

I keep saying that I will stay here as long as I keep seeing new things.  Obviously, I'll still be here for a while.

This is the first Emirati house I've been in.  I've lived here for 3.5 years but today was the first Emirati house I've been in.  That's pretty amazing in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment