Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bad cop

Update on the trip to Canada:  As of right now I may be paying my own way.  Yippee!  When I found out they may not be paying for me my first thought was "C'est la vie" - it's OK if I don't go.  Later I realized I NEED this trip.  Being around thousands of energized students is something I need to recharge my batteries.

Long story short, tonight I had to e-mail two students to inform them they will not be making the trip.  Each student delegate is required to write position papers in advance.  They are supposed to be short - 1 to 2 pages.  In the six weeks we've had the assignments two delegates have submitted nothing.  Nothing.

I simply can't imagine how this happened.  As a college student (or even now) if someone said, "You can go to a conference on the other side of the planet but first you must write a 2 page paper..." I would have had the first draft written the next day.  If I had nothing submitted six weeks later I would not be upset at getting kicked out.

My friend who has been the adviser for the past two years warned me that there would be students who wouldn't do even the minimum and I said, "Oh, come on!  It's a free trip to Canada!"  Either Canada is less appealing than I expected or I overestimated students' motivation.

Realizing she was right and I was wrong I ate my crow and volunteered to send the expulsion e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment