Friday, September 10, 2010

Rose

I consider myself lucky because I'm friends with phenomenally successful people. One became the world's best eye surgeon. Another was a currency trader who made millions for his company. One is on the path to cure HIV and/or cancer in his research. Another was my mentor who served thousands of students and hundreds of clients as a labor arbitrator.

Of all of my friends the most successfully underated friend is Rose. I first met Rose in 1996. She is amazingly talented but was given a secretarial job. She transferred and eventually found a boss who recognized her talents (and was not threatened by them.) She's now part of the project to get the city of Dubuque to instant-read meters. Beyond that, she's helping the citizens of a city who have an old world way of viewing their bills understand that the new way is better. "So why did you have 5000 gallons going out for 7 days?"
There are few people (or family or friends, for that matter) that I feel the way I do about Rose. She has stuck by me even though in the depths of depression years ago I blew her off.

I carry incredible guilt and she's still my friend.

Once again, Rose thinks she has a boring life with 2 sons in college and 2 sons recently graduated from college. I know her husband and her sons. She's an amazing blessed person. I will never be as blessed as her, but I'm happy she counts me as a friend.

2 comments:

  1. So who is this "world's best eye surgeon" and HIV/cancer researcher who is on the way to finding a cure? Just curious. Are they Coe grads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you, Steve. Not just because of the wonderful gifts and lunch, but because you truly seem happy. I'm glad. Thank you for your kind words. And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete