Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Iowa-Iowa State rivalry

On the day before I departed for the Emirates I went down to Iowa City to witness the tailgating parties at the Iowa-Iowa State game. Apparently, tailgating is an American phenomena. When I've mentioned it to my British and Australian counterparts they've replied with, "Don't you have a nice pub you could drink at before the game?"

*****
I'm an Iowa alum. We have more in common with our in-state rivals than any other team we play all season yet no loss stings more than losing to them.

Several years ago I traveled to Ames to take pictures at an Iowa-Iowa State game. In that era the teams were even and the tension was palpable. This year Iowa was the clear favorite and it made for a fun atmosphere.

While walking around I twice heard from an Iowa State fan, "Please don't hurt us."

Hence, it was not surprising to see acts of love trumping the rivalry.

Every parent wants the best for their children. Even though this woman graduated from Iowa State, she hopes for a better life for her son.

No comments:

Post a Comment