Thursday, June 20, 2013

Take the good days with the bad

June 2013 will be a month I will remember until Alzheimer's sets in.  Every single day for the first 12 days I got bad news.  Friend in a car accident, friend held in jail for hitting a Pakistani on a bicycle, a person I respected in Nepal killed in Thailand.  Seriously, bad news every single day for 12 days.

I also learned that the class that I thought I would be teaching this summer - strategic management - was not going to happen.  I felt screwed and had no problem telling my new boss that I felt screwed.  I think I might have yelled it.  I yelled at him on June 9th, 10th, and 11th.

So I was very surprised on June 12th to get an email, "Could you see me at 9AM?"

His proposal?  We co-teach the summer course.  

I accepted.   

*****
I am beyond-the-moon happy.  I know every one of the students.  I know the good students and I know the pieces of shit.  This is a class I have wanted to teach for all of my time here.  In less than two hours of this appointment I have received an email asking, "You won't be using the testbank, will you?"

Awesome.  Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Steve,

    Can you explain what a "Testbank" is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every textbook comes with 50-100 questions per chapter written by lowly paid graduate students. The questions are often bad. Back when I used them in the US I found 1/3 of them unusable because there was arguably two answers or the question was just a bad question.

    It used to be difficult for students to get their hands on a testbank. In the age of the internet it's easy. Surprisingly, most of my colleagues still use the testbanks to create their quizzes/tests. I write all of my own questions.

    ReplyDelete