Thursday, May 14, 2009

Did you say dollars?

If economists had groupies or fan clubs Paul Krugman could make money signing autographs. I know I've been a fan of his for 15 years and I'd like to see him speak as much as I'd like to see Coldplay.

Well, Krugman happens to be coming to the UAE to speak at a conference titled "MegaTrends, Essential Strategic Insights." I called to make a reservation and after a lengthy process was told I could charge the fee to my credit card. "Sure," I said, "How much?" I was told it was 1100 - the equivelent of $300.

I choked but thought, "When will I ever get to see him again? Besides, maybe the university will help cover it."

Ten minutes later I got a call from my bank asking if I had made the transaction. Why? The bank checks on all transactions over 4000 dirhams. WHAT? The price of 1100 was in dollars, not dirhams.

Guess who will not be seeing Paul Krugman...

No comments:

Post a Comment